RE: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:59:32 -0500

I talked to Jeff Smith when he was with Quest about the 'out of the box'
options Toad uses.

A lot of apps default to a minimalist configuration out of the box, whereas
Toad seems to go the other direction - seems like they wanted people to be able
to see/use ALL the functionality when it was first installed which gets
overwhelming even for a regular Toad user.  I'm always having to go in and
reconfigure stuff when I upgrade to a major version.

For example, I had my Toad 10.x setup nice and clean with shortcut keys the way
I wanted them, window layouts, toolbars etc.

So I upgrade to Toad 11 and all that went out the window so I asked how to
import my Toad 10 settings and they told me how and it worked - *EXCEPT* that
there was no way (that I could find) to re-enable some of the new Toad 11
features - the menu choices were gone based on the settings I imported from
Toad 10 *and* the new features didn't appear in the customization settings -
ultimately I had to reinstall Toad 11 and configure it manually.  Not a huge
problem, but time consuming.  (I can't remember the specific new functionality
I was trying to re-enable though and I probably haven't even used it)

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its
employees.