Re: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:58:58 -0500 (CDT)

Tim wrote:

> TOAD is like crack for PL/SQL developers. They need to go cold turkey
> and they will find out life is much better without it. They might just
> learn a little about databases also.

Wow.  The inference I get here is that Toad users are somehow stupid or at
least unable to think beyond the GUI.  I hope that wasn't your intent, Tim.

A few years ago, I was Toadless for awhile after switching jobs.  I've tried
all of the others.  And I revisit them at least annually to see if they're
"better for me" (I think that's what we're all saying, right?) than Toad and
so far, no.  I still get a slew of Java errors and inflexible UI from Oracle
Corp's freebie -- have they fixed the issue where exporting query results
needed to rerun the entire query?

While I do use Notepad++ constantly, I develop my SQL and PL/SQL DBA tools
solely in Toad (including one 1200-line package).  Does it have issues?  Of
course.  And someday after getting out from underneath my DB upgrade, I'll
rejoin the beta for direct feedback to the Toad Dev team, who actually
responds to their users and in a very timely manner.  I haven't had that
experience with other tools.

There's plenty of room for multiple tools in the Oracle arena.  But now I'm
late for a meeting...  :)

Rich

Disclaimer:  4 out of 5 dentists surveyed said that I'm the "Rich" that Norm
referred to in his post.