Re: PLSQL CPU consumption

  • From: "Anand Rao" <panandrao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:05:07 +0530

i must have been on speed when i said that!

Mark, you are right. memory usage/consumption can be high with this
parameter. can sometimes lead to a ORA-4031 error too. it should not affect
cpu consumption.

though i have a feeling that keeping those child cursors pinned incurs some
cpu overhead. on the other hand, trying to pin them should consume more cpu!

my comment that cpu usage can be high was based on bug notes i read long
back that setting a value of true can cause high cpu consumption. there was
also a note somewhere on Metalink that has shown this behaviour. i just
can't find them now.

then there are all the versions and platforms where this behaviour is
visible (or not).

should not rely on old pages in memory, needs refreshing :)

thanks
anand

On 26/09/06, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Um, how is cursor_space_for_time "known to be CPU bound"? It will certainly cause higher memory usage, but how does it affect CPU consumption?

*--* *Mark J. Bobak* *Senior Oracle Architect* *ProQuest Information & Learning*

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch
manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly. Specialization is for insects."   --Robert A. Heinlein