PGA settings

  • From: "blr_dba" <deepak_blr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:56:45 +0530

Hi Gurus,

Please help me in understanding the following....

I have 8 GB of RAM for Oracle on Solaris.

At instance level the following parameters are set:
SGA_MAX_SIZE=4GB
PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET=2GB
WORK_AREA_SIZE_POLICY=AUTO

At session level I have set the following:
WORK_AREA_SIZE_POLICY=MANUAL
HASH_AREA_SIZE=2GB

Now my questions are:

1> What is the Maximum memory that can be used by Oracle at any point in time?
Is it 6GB (4+2)?

2> If the answer to the above question is yes, then will the HASH_AREA_SIZE
mentioned at the session level be allocated from PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET memory?

3> What will be the SORT_AREA_SIZE value for the said session?

4> If parallel queries are run from that session, will each PQ process have 2GB
of RAM for HASH_AREA_SIZE?

Regards,

Deep