RE: PDML and PQ tunning

  • From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:36:28 +0000

Dimitre,

Normally increasing PEMS from the default to 8192 or 16384 is done when you've
got large, frequent parallel operations.  What you'll see is a drop in waits on
various "PX Deq*" waits as a result, at least when you were receiving high
waits for these events before the change.

As for your specific situation, you haven't shared a lot of detail.  For PQs,
are the underlying tables large enough to warrent parallelization?  Smaller
tables can actually run slower with parallelization, due to all the overhead of
starting x number of PX slaves, dividing up the workload, communication between
PX slaves and the QC, then producing the results and cleanup.  "Smaller" is
obviously relative but from what I've seen in working on DWs, any table smaller
than 150 MB to 200 MB usually should be left at degree 1.

Have you compared xplans between serial and parallel executions?  Were the
serial executions using full scans?  Was more than 1 table joined and if so
were both large and had a parallel degree set?

As for PDML, were you working with CTAS operations?  Or INSERT...SELECT?  For
the latter were you attempting to have the INSERT run in parallel or just the
SELECT?

For both PQ and PDML, were the PX qref latch waits the highest of all waits?
If not, what were the top 5 waits before and after the change for both types of
operations?

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation
EML   dave.herring@xxxxxxxxxx
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988
1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
WWW.ACXIOM.COM

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended
only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message
or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.