RE: PATH length limit on windows

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:37:05 -0500

Thanks for all your input. I used those guidlelines provided by Oracle couple
of years back on around 15-20 Windows Servers and did not observe any issue
with that since then.

Regards

Rafiq

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:20:12 +0000
Subject: Re: PATH length limit on windows
From: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
To: jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx
CC: vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and after a restoration the mapping that used to be in place is no longer
guaranteed valid - a bit like system generated names for constraints, lobs. etc
etc in oracle.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Jason Heinrich <jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While the end of a short file name is often "~1", it could be another number if
there is more than one file in the directory that has the same first six
letters in its name.  Do a "dir /X" to verify the actual short file names.
--
Jason Heinrich

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM, M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vishal,

Although I have not aware of any such solution like that but it is time to
clean your path.
You may use ~ after every 6 character in your path variable for longer path
name.
It will reduce your path size.

You may see the following guidelines which may help. I encountered this issue
when I was installing Oracle10g agent on Windows server. It is good fix. In my
case it was HP openview which was generating very large path.

Regards
Rafiq

QUOTE
ANSWER
=======
Sorry for the inconvenience, no fix for the character limit in the PATH
variable. But, a workaround would be to edit or temporarily remove some entries.
Here's an example you can use. If you start with something like this as a
single entry in PATH:
C:\Program Files\Winterbourn
you can edit it and shorten it like this:
C:\Progra~1\Winter~1
and it will still function normally.
If you want, copy your current PATH and remove enough entries so that Oracle
can finish. Then you can do what editing you need to do to get everything in
under the 1023 character limit.
UNQUOTE

> From: vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: PATH length limit on windows
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:12:45 +0000

> I am yring to install all versions of oracle 9i, 10g and 11g on a
> windows machine. This to compare diferrences between various parameter
> (hidden and non-hidden) and other diferences between different
> releases and patchsets. But I hit the problem of 1024 limit of path
> variable value on windows. I know there is a hotfox to increase this
> to 2048 characters. But still with so many versions on same it's quite
> easy to hit that limit too.
>
> One could try clearing the path all together and run a environment
> setting batch script to clear the path variable and set it only with
> the version you are working with. Does anyone has any better way of
> doing this?
>
> I am lazy and was thinking of using windows select oracle home shortcut.
>
> Does anyone has any better way of doing this?
>

> Cheers,
> Vishal Gupta
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
account now.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_022009