RE: Overloading words: How can we get Oracle to stop it?

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>, <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:27:12 -0500

I personally don't care as long they are on very different functions of the
application and I realize that in a product the size of oracle you will
always run into a situation where 2 different functions could use the same
term. Even in a much smaller system, you could have 2 schemas with different
applications that have overlapping terms, as long as one understands the
context, and the contexts rarely cross it isn't an issue for me.

As for the naming of columns, I do wish it were consistent throughout the
data dictionary but realize that oracle was built over many years and with
many people and many of the naming conventions that we use today weren't
even thought of or cared about back when many of the data dictionary views
were created. I like to think that it would be a simple matter of renaming
some columns and doing a search and replace on some code but then I get to
think how much of my own code would break, as well as other applications
like TOAD, etc., and how much QA would need to be done that I realize that
there more important tasks to be done.

I must also say that imho oracle has done a much better job on naming over
the last few releases.

Ken Naim