Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: James Foronda <James.Foronda@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:53:59 -0400

Mogens,

Mogens Nørrgaard wrote:

Also, I'd suggest you replace those 20 Sun servers with a couple of Opteron-loaded standard boxes. Just for your main production environment, mind you. Might be easier to handle a couple of standard PC boxes than all those refrigerator-size monsters out in the big, cold room.
When you say "refrigerator-sized monsters", did you have this kind of machine in mind?

http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire_e25k/index.jsp

It seems to me that not a lot of people are aware that Sun has other types of machines. The following is just FYI for those who are following this thread....

Sun has opteron based servers (the Galaxy line of servers):

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4200/
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4100/
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/

There's also another line based on the UltraSPARC T1 chip. This product line is called CoolThreads (T2000/T1000):

http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/
http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t1000/

The Galaxy and CoolThreads line of servers are very far from the size of a refrigerator. :)

James http://jforonda.blogspot.com/ -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l