RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> You are 100% correct, Ken. Reading between the lines
> in Vitaliy's posts lends me to wonder whether there
> are forces within his organization trying to influence
> a koolaid-drunken wholesale leap into a Linux-based
> solution. I've seen that in a lot of shops. Incidentally,
> those are the shops that don't end up going forward with
> a Linunx deployment. The once that do (in my experience
> with our product set) are the ones that have a level
> headed approach to using the right tool for the right
> job.
>
> We generally walk out of the deals where there is
> brutal OS/platform religious wars because those
> projects never succeed.

There's no "brutal OS/platform religious wars" in our shop and we DO succeed,
not only do we succeed but we are the first company to implement Direct Order
Fulfillment Business Model using ORACLE Advanced Supply Chain Planning in
record time of THREE month in (2002).

We are so efficient at what we do that in 2004 our State of the Art operation
was called "Lean Machine" by ORACLE's PROFIT magazine.

Did we get here all because of ORACLE/Solaris?  Heck NO!  We know what we are
doing from top down.  But it sure helps especially when you consider that our
MAIN production environment consist of 20 servers supported by:

   2 DBAs and 2 SA

with the following load:

   Data Growth per Year
   Operational DBs  32GB
   Warehouse DBs   124GB

   10GB worth of REDO throughput per 24 hours
   3-4 thousand SQL*Net connections per hour

Additionally we manage 12 smaller production databases.

- Vitaliy