Re: Oracle's RAT (Real Application Testing)

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jason.arneil@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:37:35 -0800 (PST)

How many of you on 11g are actually leveraging SQL Plan Management?

Anybody turn on baseline capture?  It's off by default.

Did anybody pre-seed 10g plans into 11g SPM with SPA?

Or did anybody upgrade, run their workload with OFE 10.2 to establish baselines
with 10gr2 stats and than update stats and change OFE to 11g ad see what if
anything evolves?  This is one of the approaches discussed in the various
SPM/11g Optimizer sessions from OOW or at the BI/DW Sig that Maria presented at.

SPA (part of RAT) and/or Tuning Pack will help with capture of SQL statements
into STS for execution of those statements in 11g environment.
If things regress during the SPA run in the 11g env, you can either build
profiles to tune or seed the baseline with the 10g plan to ensure it doesn't
regress.

what about auto sql tuning?  anybody letting the auto sql tuning task
automatically create profiles in 11g?  Are you reviewing what its identifying
as candidate SQL profiles?

any experiences to share for people upgrading to 11g soon with SPM and auto sql
tuning?

While SPM will negate much of the risk of plans changing on you, only RAT will
tell you in advance how in aggregate the upgrade will affect your workload at
full concurrency.