RE: Oracle's ASSM

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:33:13 -0400

Niall,

    OK, I asked a very general question and got some very general
answers.  Not bad considering.  Here are the specifics:

    We're thinking of moving from dedicated database instances, with the
plethora of management problems associated therein to a couple of RAC
environments for fault tolerance (IE server failure) and load balancing
among the servers as the basics.  Oracle is telling us that ASM or OMF
whichever you like is a mandatory part thereof.  This poses a number of
problems.  First of which is damanagement which wants a change control
form every time a data file does an auto extend.  And a number of
tablespaces that we don not want extending because we put data therein
that is to be archived off to CDROM, consequently it's necessary for the
process loading these tablespaces to error out every once in a while.
Now I've never been an advocate of anything new that Oracle pops out of
the factory until it's had some filed experience, read that as Not in
it's first version.  And I'm very skeptical of not knowing what is in
what tablespace, especially when a hot disk pops up.  We've used
stripping and raid in the past with some really undesirable side
effects, like mass writes taking forever and having to add more devices
than we have to extend a mount point, and the resulting device additions
to all of our Business Continuation Volumes.  Basically trying that
again is a definite no-no around here.  True everyone says disk is
cheap, unless you don't have them available.

  _____