From: Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp
To: Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx,
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 1:35 PM

Hrishy,

The SYS user never exports even with full=y.   I think your concern is what
happens to the SYSTEM user when it is being imported into the 10g database.
If nothing happens then you are thinking that full=y would be easier but you
have to resolve that conflict first.

I know I’m re-phrasing the question for the list and they can also respond.
If so, my response would be to use expdp  (10g datapump) to export the 8i
database, and then impdp with the new ‘exclude’ option and exclude SYSTEM.

I have not done this exact scenario so you should stay tuned for other comments
to this method.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx" <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 11:20 AM

Hi,

Oracle has the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide. In this the method is mentioned.
See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.htm#i694345.
 Start reading from the paragraph Export/Import

Herald ten Dam
Superconsult