RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:20:33 -0400

Hrishy,

Why would you want to do an exp with full=Y?

I would simply recreate any scripts to create local roles and users.
Include any privs assigned to each user in the recreate scripts.

Run these scripts to create the roles and users.

Export and import each schema individually.  Export with Oracle 8 and
Import with Oracle 10.

Resolve any problems.  Should be a snap.

You don't say how big your database is and this may be a deciding factor
in how you do this.

Hope this helps.

Tom

________________________________

        From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: "hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx" <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
"oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 11:20 AM

        Hi,

        Oracle has the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide. In this the method
is mentioned.
        See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.htm
#i694345. Start reading from the paragraph Export/Import

        Herald ten Dam
        Superconsult

        Van: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://uk.mc237.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=oracle-l-bounce@freelists.
org>  [oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://uk.mc237.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=oracle-l-bounce@freelists.
org> ] namens hrishy [hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
<http://uk.mc237.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx> ]
        Verzonden: donderdag 25 juni 2009 11:52
        Aan: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://uk.mc237.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Onderwerp: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp

        Hi

        I would like to know any metalink note or Oracle documentation
link which spells out that i can do exp full=y on 8i database and imp
full=y into 10g database.

        I searched this but unable to locate that this is a a supported
method for upgrading from 8i to 10g

        regards
        Hrishy