Re: Oracle vs. DB2 UDB

  • From: "Grant Allen" <gxallen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:29:01 +1000

On 7/14/06, Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We will be introducing DB2 UDB into our shop in the near future. I am looking for some information to become familiar with it.

- Who are the respected individuals within the community?

For non-mainframe DB2, a few of the leading lights are Craig Mullins, Phil Gunning, Chris Eaton ... all of whom have very good blogs that discuss various parts of DB2 technology.

- Resources indicating the differences between Oracle and DB2 UDB

Some of the best resources come from the vendors themselves, in the form of the migration tools which usually include good documentation on how things differ, and also their comparitive technical pitches (just take the marketing gumph with a grain of salt). I once built a website that had all kinds of comparitive info ... maybe I should resurrect it :-)

- Is there a list server comparable to the quality of this one?
- Training experiences?
- Websites

The best by far is DB2-L, hosted by the international db2 users group - IDUG. IDUG also hosts a bunch of online fora, code repositories, training, run conferences, etc. www.idug.org. IBM also have a whole bunch of things on their DeveloperWorks site, including tutorials, sample apps and code, etc.

- What books would you recommend purchasing?

redbooks.ibm.com has dozens of DB2 topics covered. There's not as much general literature published when compared to Oracle, but a few publishers are trying to change this (e.g. Apress).

Best of luck.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)