RE: Oracle version numbers appearing as links in posts on oracle-l

Tim Gorman pointed out it was unclear what my actual question was.

Yes, I was unclear. Let me elaborate.

I see received emails getting unreadable by Mailscanner messages. My
first suspect was my provider: I thought their spamfilter/viruschecker
boldly transformed all strings matching the decimal IP-address format
into a hyperlink. So it was at my ISP where I started the investigation.
That was easy, as my ISP is a rather small ISP, owned by a friend.

When it appreared that the href= code was already there in the raw data
received by them, I started going upstream. I also figured that some
oracle-l messages have this behaviour, other don't. That led to the
educated guess that it is unlikely that the mailservers of freelist.org
change the contents, so then I posted a question to the list whether
others had the same symptoms.

>From the recieving end up to the sender so far my best guess of what
happening is:

> I read an email, containg warnings for many a.b.c.d numbers
>> Messages with warnings are retrieved by my Evolution email client
from the pop3 server of my ISP
>>> Messages are stored in my pop3 mailbox by the mailscanner of my ISP
only for numbers appearing as <href=a.b.c.d> in the email source
freelists.org by email client of oracle-l member
member.

So, I think various email clients are the culprits,including gmail,
outlook.

I asked my ISP to white-list freelists.org, so my problem is over.
However, I still don't like software to decide for me (or whoever else)
that some text needs a reformat to a lilnk. But we have to live with
that. I'm afraid. More and more gets decided for us...... But I
digress.

Problem detected, root cause found, solution not. Workaround available.

Thank you all for your replies.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===