Re: Oracle upgrade without downtime??

  • From: kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:39:40 -0700

As Andreas said, it has to be logical. You can however convert the physical
standby to a logical one, run the upgrade, and then revert it back to a
physical standby.

Note 300479.1 has a link to a white paper on this ("Database Rolling
Upgrades for Physical Standby Database - using a Transient Logical Standby")
but the link isn't working right now :)

Another doc that I found quite helpful is:
www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_RollingUpgradeBestPractices.pdf
..which also isn't working right now. You can however access this one by
Googling "Database Rolling Upgrade Using Data Guard SQL Apply" and clicking
"Quick View" under the first link.