RE: Oracle to SQL Server

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:34:52 -0400

Brian,

    There are two ways to do this, the expensive way(maybe) and the
cheap way(maybe).

    Method 1 would be to acquire a copy of the Transparent Gateway to
SQL*Server from Oracle.  It installs on the sql server box and then acts
like a remote database.  Very easy, but potentially expensive as we're
talking about software form Oracle, although some bird recently told me
that Oracle is "giving" this software away.  If you can believe that!!

    Method 2 is to configure Heterogeneous services, basically ODBC,
between Oracle and Sql*Server.  If your running Oracle in Windoze that
might be easy, but if your on Unix, well lots of luck as I have not
managed to get it working yet (which is where the expense is, namely
your time chasing it).

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International