Re: Oracle replication with EMC2

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:55:19 -0500

>>When they do the bcv mirror split, they don't inform Oracle (put tablespaces in hot backup mode), so it seems these files will not be
>> consistent for what Oracle expects.

It is possible to have consistent backup without altering the tablespaces in to backup mode, using a special type of split known as consistent BCV splits. This method is supported by EMC for Oracle database backups and mentioned in various documents. You need powerpath or ECA for the consistent split to work. I/O to that device is frozen while the split is underway.

Even then, I would be inclined to alter the tablespaces to backup mode and then split.

Thanks
Riayj

Yechiel Adar wrote:
<.. snipped...>
When they do the bcv mirror split, they don't inform Oracle (put tablespaces in hot backup mode), so it seems these files will not be consistent for what Oracle expects.
<.. snipped ..>

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.