Author:
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

----- Original Message ----
From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
To: jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:47:50 PM
Subject: Re: Oracle out the door

Following ideas comes to mind:
1) Have you/your company considered other editions than EE? I.e. SE,
SE One, trying to get discounts, optimizing (e.g. throwing several
apps on the same boxes) environments?
2) Have you/your company calculated all other costs connected with
database change i.e. staff skills, possibility to rebuild applications
totally from scratch, possibility to have various kind of problems
because of lack of knowledge and migration to other DBMSes? A while
ago I've summarized a few criteria for choosing DBMS and the main
message I'd like to offer is - as probably everyone knows - the cost
of DB is not the same as the cost of DBMS licence.
In case anyone is interested the article is here
http://gplivna.eu/papers/choose_database.htm

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu