Re: Oracle on iBook

  • From: Michael Maibaum <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:22:30 -0800

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:53:26AM -0700, Tim Gorman wrote:
>9i, yes.  For quite a long time, and happily too.  Because no Oracle
>Installer was involved;  just "tar xvf"...
>10g -- problems.  This is (finally) a regular distro using OUI.  I got link
>errors, telling me that my version of "C" compiler was a couple builds too
>low.  Not sure if that is really the problem, but it said that I should be
>at "X" and I found that I'm currently at less than "X".  It said to download
>the new version of the compiler from Apple, but frankly I haven't been able
>to find one.  Been casually googling around for one, but haven't found it
>Installed 9i while on Mac OSX 10.2.8, later upgraded to 10.3.5, which is
>where I first tried to install 10g.  Currently at 10.3.6...
>Has anyone gotten 10g installed on OSX?

I've had 9i and 10g on a G5 and 9i on a powerbook, I've not got around to
updating the powerbook to 10g as I mostly use it as a client in any case to a
9i Solaris server.

I had no great problems installing 10g, though therre are some tripwires
This url walks you through most of the issues.

You need an uptodat version of the developer tools, which you can get as a free
download by registering with the Apple Developer Connection (ADC) at