RE: Oracle on Windows question

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jjreimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:22:11 -0500

If you set LOCAL and it works fine then don't worry about other parameters.

set LOCAL=xxxx
sqlplus " / as sysdba"

If it is connected without any issues or asking your password, you are good
with it.

shutdown immediate;
startup;

I don't think you should have any issues. In worst case scenario you can use
Database service to stop and start for bouncing database. Most of the time we
just set LOCAL instead of setting ORACLE_SID.

I will suggest to make an oraenv_SID.bat file and put all suggested 3 settings
there and run it before using sqlplus " / as sysdba"

Regards
Rafiq

Subject: RE: Oracle on Windows questionDate: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:25:27
-0500From: JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I set the LOCAL environment variable to the tns alias, then I connect fine.
Isn't that the same as using the "connect user@tnsentry" syntax?

I can connect fine when going through sqlnet, but just using ORACLE_SID to make
the connection does not work.  There is nothing unusual in the alert log.  The
listener log only shows when connections are made through sqlnet.  Nothing
shows there when the direct connections fail.

We are planning on bouncing the database, but we are concerned that we will not
be able to bring it back up (or even shut it down cleanly) since we can't
connect as we usually do to perform those tasks.

From: M Rafiq [mailto:rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009
10:37 AMTo: Reimer, John J.; oracle listSubject: RE: Oracle on Windows question
Please try to set all three parameters and try again.  set ORACLE_SID=set
LOCAL=  (check alis in tnsnames.ora file)set ORACLE_HOME= It appears to be
permission issue as well while try to writing to listener.log file. Is the same
user id starting other databases as well?  RegardsRafiq

Subject: Oracle on Windows questionDate: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:42:05 -0500From:
JJReimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx have a problem connecting
to a database that we have not seen before, and I am wondering if any else has
encountered it.OS: Windows2003 32-bit Database Version: 9.2.0.8 Only one Oracle
Home on the box There are six databases running on this server.  We can connect
to five of them just fine.  When setting ORACLE_SID to the problem SID, and
trying "Connect sys as sysdba"  we get "ORA-12546: TNS:permission denied" When
we do "Connect sys@sidname as sysdba" it connects fine. Why would one database
have a problem when the others all work?

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009