Oracle on Windows Server - a lil' help?

  • From: "Reardon, Bruce (RTABBAY)" <Bruce.Reardon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:11:22 +1100

Chris & Kathy,

If you have Windows 2003 SP2, you may be running into problems with the
TCP Offload Engine causing the TCP keepalivetime not to work correctly.
See //www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/08-2008/msg00020.html for
my posting on this.

Note that for us, orakill did not release all the memory that would be
released if the session cleanly disconnected.
pslist -m did confirm some memory was being released, but certainly not
all.
This is especially an issue if using 32 bit Oracle and no WOW etc to let
you exceed the 2 GB limit.

Hope this helps,
Bruce Reardon

-------------------------------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:01:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oracle on Windows Server - a lil' help?

I have a note on Metalink, turning my Windows woes into Windows Wow

There is alot of information there to help you.  I found stuff all over
metalink but this is what I found worked for me.

Also here is a script.  I actually have a purge job I run for some of my
sessions that don't go away BUT BE CAREFULL and test it well.

One oops and you can bring down your db!  I tried to kill some old
sqldeveloper sessions and ended end killing oracle processes.

you will need to update the module and the logon-time and last logon
time.

I spooled this and then submit the job once a day.  I run separate ones
for separate modules as some modules I kill twice a day (like Business
objects) and look for a time out less than a day.
select 'ORAKILL', rtrim(name), spid
from v$database d, v$session s, v$process p
where s.paddr = p.addr and status = 'INACTIVE'
and (module) = 'YOUR MODULE HERE'
and logon_time <= sysdate - 3
and (SYSDATE - last_call_et / 86400) <= sysdate - 3;

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:22:37 -0500
From: "Taylor, Chris David" <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Guys & Gals,

I've got a situation where Oracle doesn't recognize disconnected apps on
Windows 2003 server.  Every time a machine reboots or power goes out, or
users terminate an app, it leaves the session connected to the db,
eating up our available processes (500).

I've check the SQLNET.ORA EXPIRE_TIME parameter and that doesn't seem to
resolve the issue.

I think there are some TCP parameters on the db server itself that need
to be adjusted?  Has anyone run into this and successfully corrected it?

Any good documents you would like to share?  I think I have the Metalink
document on tuning windows servers for Oracle databases...going to try
to dig it back up.

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this
message from your system without first printing or copying it. Any
personal data in this email (including any attachments) must be handled
in accordance with the Rio Tinto Group Data Protection Policy and all
applicable data protection laws.