RE: Oracle on Virtual Machines

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx" <Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:09:32 -0700

We recently moved several databases from HP rp5450 (L2000) servers running four
PA8600 processors (single-core) to Oracle Linux on Dell 2950s running dual
quad-core Xeon X5450@3GHz processors, so the Oracle licensing was the same
since we went from 4 single cores to 8 multi-cores after the .5 licensing
multiplier for Intel procs.

The new system is MUCH faster - my database refreshes via exp/imp used to run
in about 2-3 hours and now run in 15-30 minutes.  This is even with running on
top of VMWare ESX 3.5.

We did also upgrade from 8i to 10g and switched to a new SAN at the same time,
so it's not exactly apples to apples, however the 8i to 10g change shouldn't
make that much difference on exp/imp (no, I'm not using datapump), and the SANs
we moved from/to were pretty similar in performance so I don't think that
accounts for much of the difference either.

Regards,
Brandon