Oracle multi-core CPU licensing model.

  • From: "Jenner, Mike" <Mike.Jenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:49:21 +0100

Hi list,

      I have a big headache caused by Oracle's licensing model per CPU-core.
I'm not looking to start a rant about Oracle's licensing model/direction.

Can anyone share useful tips if they've been able to minimise license costs in
a situation like mine?

Here's some details:

*         We have an agreement with the client to refresh older servers with
(as close as poss) like-for-like.

*         We have a Sunfire 280R (1 CPU), which falls under this refresh
category now.

o        This server needs Oracle Enterprise Ed with Spatial option.

o        Our site uses Sun/Solaris for UNIX and we'd very much prefer to stick
with Unix for this app/database.

*         I'm told by our sysadmins (and a check of Sun's site confirms) that
suitable replacements can have minimum CPUs of either:

o        2 x 6-Core 1.2Ghz UltraSPARC T2 Plus processors or

o        Quad-Core 1.2Ghz UltraSPARC T2.

*         We are refreshing because of our agreement with the client. We don't
have a pressing need to add CPU power.

*         These CPU type have slightly different license cost multipliers: The
T2+ is 0.5 and the T2 is 0.75

*         Our sysadmins also don't support Solaris containers.

*         Both these options would add to our Oracle licensing costs by a
minimum of 2 CPUs.

o        4cores * 0.75 = 3 cpu-licenses. We already have 1 cpu that we can
transfer, which leaves 2 cpu licenses we need to buy :

o        2 x ( £34k EE + £6K Spatial) = £80k

*         So that's an Extra £80k for licenses we don't have a need for. On a
server that will be cost much less that £80 !

Any tips on your previous experience or advice for me to investigate further
are appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike Jenner

Oracle Database Administrator, Application Services,