Re: Oracle licensing for Personal Use

  • From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sundar.Mahadevan@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:23:31 -0800

Hi Sundar,

I don't work for Oracle, nor am I a licensing expert, but here are my
opinions, based on my understanding of Oracle licensing:

Once you have a CSI, you should have access to all generally-available My
Oracle Support content, just as you have through your company.

Regarding your numbered questions:

1) You should only be submitting SRs for products for which you have
purchased a support license.  Unless there are new features built into MOS
that check for the licensing attached to your CSI, however, there is nothing
that will prevent you from submitting an SR for any product.   An astute
Support Engineer might check your licensing status, however, and could
either refuse to process an SR for an unlicensed product, or ask
uncomfortable questions that could lead to a licensing audit.  At that
point, it'll be up to you to convince Oracle that you've made an honest
mistake, and haven't willfully attempted to circumvent licensing
agreements/support policies.  Personally, I don't need that sort of stress,
but perhaps you're less risk-averse. ;-)

2) The reason you don't see a version number on Diagnostics Pack is that
it's meant to be an add-on to an existing database license, not a standalone
purchase.  Again, I don't think that having *only* a Diagnostics Pack
license entitles you to database support of any kind.

3) Probably, yes.  Though, to be honest, the real benefit to purchasing
Personal Edition is access to existing My Oracle Support content, not the
ability to submit support tickets (again, just my opinion, but I bet I'm not
alone there).

4) As long as you're engaged in learning for personal education, you're free
to download and use the software from OTN, and don't need to purchase
support licenses.  This "free to learn" OTN license, however, does not
entitle you to MOS access of any kind.  For that, I think the
previously-suggested Personal Edition licensing is a good route to take.

Regards,

John P.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Mahadevan, Sundar <Sundar.Mahadevan@xxxxxxx