Re: Oracle instance startup user on Unix

I would have to disagree with that, but for perhaps a slightly different
reason
that others have.

Jeremiah Wilton makes a compelling case for 2 listeners, just for the
purpose
of minimizing downtime for maintenance.

Setup the tns entries for failover to 2 ports, allowing one listener to be
taken down for maintenance while the other still serves requests

ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf<http://ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf>

Jared

On 7/13/05, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I vote for one listener per box - been running this way on several
> different hardware/OS/Oracle combinations for several years and can't
> remember ever having a problem. More listeners just equals more maintenance
> in my opinion.
>
> Never had to shutdown SQL*Net access (can just put the specific database
> in restricted mode if that's what you really want), but if you had to
> couldn't you just remove the desired service from your listener.ora and
> then do a reload?

Jared Still