Oracle installation on Local disk vs. SAN

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:30:18 -0700

Greetings,

We have just purchased a new very large SAN to which we will be migrating
several databases. There are also two new servers which will be connected to
this SAN. We will be running RHEL5 and Oracle 11g. We are in the midst of a
discussion with the system administrator who wants us to install Oracle on the
SAN rather than the local disk on the new server. We, the DBAs would like to
have it installed on the local disk, of which there is plenty.

We are wondering about the pros and cons of installing Oracle on the local disk
versus the SAN. All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center