  From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 20:12
  To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Oracle iFS

  Dear list,

  Just asking for experiences using iFS, now called "Oracle Content
Management SDK".

  I'm casting about for ideas to manage IT documents.  The three things that
I see as
  being necessary are these:

  1.  Ability to easily organize a structure that can be easily drilled down
into.
  ie. much like a directory structure

  2. Full text indexing

  3. Versioning - date and time of last edit, who edited the doc, and what
changed.

  Microsoft Indexing service is a no-brainer for 1 and 2, but I don't
believe it does #3.

  iFS seems a likely candidate, though I'm not sure how well it does #3.

  Then there are commercial document management systems.  Way too expensive
  and complex.

  There are alternatives such as KnowledgeTree (open source) but probably
just
  as much work to setup as Oracle iFS.

  Any good experiences out there with iFS for this type of usage?

  TIA

  Jared