RE: Oracle hangs on startup (9.2 on Win2000)

Niall,

I've annotated the responses I obtained below. Not very encouraging, I'm
afraid!

>  On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:19:55 -0000, Paul Vincent=20
>  <paul.vincent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > One other piece of information: when I try using Oracle=20
>  Enterprise =3D
>  > Manager to connect to the database (using SYS as SYSDBA),=20
>  I go to the =3D
>  > "General" tab on Instance/Configuration, and this shows=20
>  the database in =3D
>  > a "down" state (red traffic light). I then try to open the=20
>  database, =3D
>  > click Apply, and the "Starting up the database" step fails=20
>  with the =3D
>  > error:
>  >=20
>  > "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"
>  >=20
>  > Does this shed any more light on the possible cause of the problem?
>  >=20
>  > Paul
> =20
>  Ok in that case I think I would do the manual startup thing.=20
> =20
>  at a command window on the server
>  oradim -edit -sid <your sid> -startmode manual=20

OK

>  -- try to avoid the service trying to start the instance.=20
>  then=20
>  net start oracleservice<sid>=20
>  set oracle_sid=3D<your sid>
>  sqlplus /nolog
> =20
>  in sqlplus
>  connect / as sysdba

Hit a problem here: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.
Instead, I tried CONNECT SYS/password AS SYSDBA, and this worked OK.

>  startup
> =20
>  you should get the underlying error.=20
> =20

This gave the "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel" error.

One of our sysprogs asked if it might have something to do with the
change from BST to GMT, but this seems unlikely since the problem only
manifested this morning (2nd November).

Any more ideas, please, Niall? (Or anybody!). I'm feeling thoroughly
brushed with the stupid-stick! If not, I can feel a TAR coming on...

Regards,

Paul