Oracle from UNIX to Windows

  • From: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:33:48 -0500

Hello guys,

This time I want to share with you a link that has saved my life. I have
always been against the use of Microsoft in all ways and more if we are
talking about Oracle DB's (Oracle with Microsoft on production?, you must be
crazy!); for any reason, now I am working for a company which uses Oracle 8i
(yes, some of us are still living on the past century!) over Windows, which
is even more unbelivable.

As I have always worked with Oracle DB over Unix or Linux, I tried to focus
on using the DB in the same way (with the same concepts of commands) but
over Windows (bad idea), basic concepts like "...you cannot start the
instance from SQLPlus – the Service must be running first.." or "Find the
pid, using scqueryx" and use tasklist to kill the oracle processes on
windows were killing me...

By the way, I hope someone can find this information useful as it was for
me.

http://www.rampant-books.com/art_oracle_on_windows_unix_users.htm

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia