Re: Oracle for Windows XP with INTEL inside

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinardyxing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:07:06 +0100

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:15:26 +0800, Sinardy Xing
<sinardyxing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am so confuse now, I am able to connect to my database without a listener
> and not even set the Oracle_SID variable.
>
> I show you my log... I don't even have ORACLE_SID
<snip>

Actually all that shows you is that you don't have ORACLE_SID set as
an environment variable. If you run regedit though you will find that
under HKLM\Software\Oracle\HomeN  you will have a registry entry
ORACLE_SID which is set to CANADA.  N is the (zero based) number of
your 9i Oracle Home. So on my machine the setting is under
HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home4. If you install 10g then the same principle
applies but the registry key gets moved to
HKLM\Software\Oracle\Key_<OracleHomeName>

> If let say I have other instances namely ITALY and INDONESIA, how I connect
> to ITALY?

You can just set the environment variable as you did before as
environment variables set at the various levels have this heirarchy
(in ascending order) for Oracle.

registry key - as above
system environment variable - Secondary click My
Computer|Properties|Advanced|Environment Variables
user environment variable - as system env vars
command shell environment variable  - set command at a prompt.

> Unix and Windows are so diffrent...

Yes.

--
Niall Litchfield