Re: Oracle and VM

Of course, Oracle might be willing to negotiate the official position when
it comes down to money on the table.  I wouldnt be surprised if there are
types of hard resource allocation methodologies on virtual machines that
Oracle will license, even if it is not in OVM.
Also, last time I checked OVM did not support hugepages.  You could
configure it on the guest but it ended up getting translated into
smallpages, in effect a net loss.  Has Oracle fixed that yet?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM, William Muriithi <
william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > So people are doing it in the real world, despite whatever Oracle says
> > about supportability.
> >
> > Note: I do not know a single customer who is using OracleVM in
> > production.  Oracle should just give up on that already.
> >
> I don't think that will ever happen. Basically, they would loose control on
> some on their revenue as virtual CPU differ between  virtualization
> technology
> I think their stand at the moment is not meant to prevent people from using
> vmware, but to protect their revenue.  Its another way of saying, if you
> don't want to pay license for the whole hardware, fair use our
> virtualization. If that's not good for you, great then pay up for all the
> physical CPUs
>
> You can't win against them with such a stand. And I don't see any incentive
> for them to change as oracle deployed on vmware actually bring in cash that
> they would have forgone if you deployed their virtualization
>
> Regards,
> William
>
> > On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Rodd Holman <rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > On the support front, I've dealt with this a couple of years ago.  I'm
> not
> > > sure if they've changed their stance since then but here was my
> experience.
> > > We were test profiling going to Oracle on OEL5/UEK in VMware ESX
> > > environment.  We were trying to use DNFS for storage.  We ran into a
> bunch
> > > of networking issues and Oracle Support did try to help us.  However as
> we
> > > walked the support path past the basics they quickly turned from
> support to
> > > "please replicate this problem in a supported virtual environment or on
> > > physical hardware".
> > >
> > > YMMV, but beware that anything beyond basic OSS assistance could
> quickly
> > > become a finger pointing game between vendors.
> > >
> > --
> >

> --

Andrew W. Kerber