Re: Oracle and VM

  • From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:34:42 -0400

> So people are doing it in the real world, despite whatever Oracle says
> about supportability.
>
> Note: I do not know a single customer who is using OracleVM in
> production.  Oracle should just give up on that already.

I don't think that will ever happen. Basically, they would loose control on
some on their revenue as virtual CPU differ between  virtualization
technology
I think their stand at the moment is not meant to prevent people from using
vmware, but to protect their revenue.  Its another way of saying, if you
don't want to pay license for the whole hardware, fair use our
virtualization. If that's not good for you, great then pay up for all the
physical CPUs

You can't win against them with such a stand. And I don't see any incentive
for them to change as oracle deployed on vmware actually bring in cash that
they would have forgone if you deployed their virtualization

Regards,
William