RE: Oracle and DST changes

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:51:00 -0700

I hope I'm not beating this subject to death, but it seems a lot of
people are interested in it so here is another thing I found
interesting.  The 10.2 patch (5601428) for installing the new
utltzuv2.sql and timezdif.csv files (which are just for checking to see
if you have affected data, not for actually fixing it) says the
following in the README.TXT file:

# Patch Special Instructions:
# ---------------------------
# Make sure all instances running under the ORACLE_HOME being patched
# are cleanly shutdown before installing this patch. Also ensure that
# the tool used to terminate the instance(s) has exited cleanly.

Now, why would you have to shutdown your instance just to install this
SQL script and CSV file?  Of course I didn't want to shutdown my
instance, so I just extracted the .sql and .csv files and put them in
the correct directories ($ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin &
$ORACLE_HOME/oracore/zoneinfo, repectively) and then I ran the script
and it worked just fine - returning no affected data, as expected.

I don't have a lot of experience with patching, so maybe I'm missing
something here.  Can someone please tell me if there is some reason why
I should install this patch instead of just manually extracting the
files, and if so, why this simple patch would require the instance to be
shutdown, or is that just standard procedure that you have to shutdown
for all patches, even if it's not really necessary?

Thanks,
Brandon

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)
[mailto:Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ]

I saw that and reran the utltzuv2.sql file against my 10g database
(10.2.0.2) and it reports nothing to be concerned about.