RE: Oracle advanced tuning course

  • From: "David Sharples" <dsharples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:12:16 +0100

With regards to copyright material, I'm pretty sure you have to get the
permission of the copyright owner before you can publish or copy any of
their work, so you might get stuck with some legal issues.

For instance you have quoted some parts from askTom, that is copyright
Oracle Corporation and they can be quite strict on copyright laws

From: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 07/26/04 19:10:53
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 9.2 V$ views
=20
> (like even analyzing DD in 9.2, etc.)
>
> Can't that lead us to other problems?
=20
Yep, it can ;)
But in 9.2 it's supported and in 10g it's default anyway...
=20
Btw, the dba_extents performance problem you mentioned earlier probably
comes from the fact that in LMT configuration you can get detailed
extent
information only from the segment header itself, this means at least one
consistent get per segment which you're querying. Given that lots of
segment
headers aren't in buffer cache, a count(*) on dba_extents may cause
thousands of physical IO's, recursive calls and latching...
=20
SQL> set autot trace stat
SQL> select count(*) from dba_extents;
=20
1 row selected.
=20
=20
Statistics
41228 recursive calls
1 db block gets
20799 consistent gets
3389 physical reads
0 redo size
380 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
511 bytes received via SQL*Net from client
2 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
0 sorts (memory)
0 sorts (disk)
1 rows processed
=20
So, dba_extents is a quite dangerous view to query in LMT environment.
=20
Tanel.
=20
=20