Re: Oracle XE Corruption

  • From: "Daniel Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:26:51 +0000

Comments inline...

------- Original Message -------
On 8/24/2010 8:05 PM Evan Pettrey wrote:
Thanks everybody, you've been immensely helpful. I'm going to create a clone
of the VM and bring it up in our lab environment to see if it works this
evening. I have scheduled an hour downtime tomorrow morning to perform the
fix assuming all goes well in the lab environment.

My plan for tomorrow is as follows:

1) Stop the application
2) Stop the database
3) Create a clone of the VM the DB resides on
DWF> Always a good idea!
4) Backup and delete the huge trace files that have been created
DWF> Unless needed by you or Oracle Support, no sense in backing up the trace
files. Delete them.
DWF> 6) Start the database
DWF> In order to rebuild the index, the database has to up and open.
DWF> 5) Drop and recreate the indexes
DWF> Don't add any needless complication.
DWF> Why drop the index? An index rebuild is the answer. If you are rebuilding
an index because of a corruption/unusable issue, the process will use the table as
the source for the data. Data loads (among other things) leave indexes in an
unusable state and issuing the REBUILD works just fine.
7) Start the application
8) Pray it all works properly!
DWF> You have the process. You are testing the process. That is 98.42% of the
work!