Re: Oracle VM ?

On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Ted Coyle wrote:

I don't think Oracle's VM will catch on.  Has their Linux os?
Maybe it will, but Oracle is starting to look like it is going to collapse under its own weight. One company owning every single layer can't be good.
Big has its advantages, but it is hard to maneuver.

Geesh, so negative.  ;-)

OEL5 is great. It's RedHat with Oracle's logos. Linux fanatics will find that they have to do a little work to build a yum repository but ho hum. Purchase a $99/year ULN support contract and you can build out a machine ready for Oracle with a single command "up2date oracle- validated" (11g requires a minor tweak). All OS and Database support handled through a single vendor. Once upon a time, I had to deal with a RedHat issue on HP blades - I had to open the ticket with HP who opened a ticket with RedHat and then jointly opened a TAR with Oracle. It was a huge nightmare. Those days are over with OEL.

regards, Jason