RE: Oracle VM ?

  • From: "David Kurtz" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nilosegura@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:54:45 -0000

I think we are going to see more of this, and not just for development
systems.

I am working with a large telco at the moment, and they are going to love
this kind of thing for smaller applications.  We can't get a new server
commissioned without going to the 'space board', and even then it can take
months.  They don't just allocate physical rack space in data centres, but
they also consider power consumption.  We already have Windows ESX VM
servers (and we have no idea how many Windows VMs with which we are
sharing).  There is a real push to squeeze as many VMs as possible onto a
single machine.  Quite often it used for webservers and lightweight things
like that.

I remember someone from a big bank giving a presentation, around the time
RAC was just appearing, saying 'People ask for a database when they mean a
schema'.  He was pushing the concept of a linux-RAC cluster as a standard
unit of corporate database allocation.  This addresses the same question.  I
doubt anyone is going to put a big ERP or DW system on one of these, but I
think we are going to see this for lightweight database applications without
he complexities of RAC and the compromises of sharing instances - which is
very much the same target market as Raw Iron.

regards
David Kurtz