Re: Oracle VM

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:57:20 -0700

That is incorrect.  VMware can run directly on the bare metal.
"VMware ESX and VMware ESXi are “bare-metal” hypervisors, meaning they
install directly on top of the physical server and partition it into
multiple virtual machines that can run simultaneously, sharing the
physical resources of the underlying server"

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM, nilesh kumar <nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, for the vmware we need a host OS on which vmware runs on and then we
> need a guest OS ( which runs in the VMware).
> Thanks
> Nilesh
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM, dd yakkali <dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> I am new to this virtualization world. I want to get more information
>> about this.
>> I always thought that Virtualization software needs a base OS to run on.
>> Once you have the virtualization software installed on a host OS, you can
>> create any virtual machine/OS using the virtualization software.
>> Am I correct in stating this?
>> Thanks
>> Deen

Greg Rahn