Re: Oracle Table Compression.

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:32:23 -0700 (PDT)

Oracle does have a one off patch for the bug  in which you cannot alter a table
after compressing it and its not included in 9.2.0.5 not will it be included in
9.2.0.6 seperate one offs need to be  backported to each patch set.
the bug number is 2421054

rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
you can compress tables, and associated indexes as well. Remember that
in some versions of 92xx, you can't do direct exports, they throw
ora-600. also you cannot alter columns using ddl when compressed, so
you need to be able to un-compress if table needs to be altered.

Otherwise it may be a good thing, as always all expressed opinions are
invalid without you doing tests to satisfy your needs in your
environment.

Raj