Oracle Streams and Uniqueness

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:21:10 +0000

All,

I am being told by a support analyst at Oracle re Streams that

Oracle must be able to identify uniquely and match corresponding rows at
different
databases.
So each table in a Streams environment should have a primary key, unique key
constraints or a substitute key.

This in addition to supplemental logging. Is this correct? If so, surely
this implies that streams is only useful in environments where tables are
guaranteed (by Oracle or the application(s) running against it) to be
unique. This seems a somewhat significant real-world disadvantage to me,
based on the applications that I see. I guess I sort of hoped that Oracle
might have used the ROWID to generated the LCR (in a way that I fully admit
I have spend no time at all thinking about).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA