RE: Oracle Streams Question

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 06:56:06 -0800 (PST)

Polarski

  Thanks for the update. I had already created the instance and even
reinstatiate the Objects meta data from all available 3 instance to newly
created instance and vice versa. I had even cleared all errored queues and
started the PUSH. The problem is that now I can push the data from new instance
to other instance but I am not able to get the data pushed from other 3
instance to new instance. I am definitely missing one key information. Let me
check more details and will update

  Tx
  Sanjay

"Polarski, Bernard" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                A Four node multimaster, I wish you good luck, I am impressed
by the requirement.

  Your biggest problem will be to clean the backlog of distributed action on
the 3 remaining nodes for streams never forget a
  transaction that has not been replicated. So you will end with all your
archive logs still on your arch dir, for RMAN since version 10 will not delete
them after backup as long as Logminer still claim them for a transaction to
distribute.

  Once you will have recreated the DB, preferably with a new SID and DBID,
restore and populated the tables objects,
  you will have to deal with this backlog awaiting on each nodes. Since at that
moment, on every other node, your sending queue would have spill over on disk
into various exception queues, you will have lot of fun to clean this mess,
which contains only generic objects, so you will have to dig in and find one by
one which are those objects that needs to be cleared and which a real one
actually for others node.

  In case you are still there, you will have to reinstantiate all queues but
since it is a multimaster it can be quite tricky when one of the node has
cannot insert rows due to missing FK or you have at this stage already
duplicated the content of one the 3 others node into the fourth one. There will
be plenty of others problems but anyway, I am quite confident that a lot of
people will be eager to read about how you have solved all this.

    Bernard Polarski
  Oracle DBA

    From: Sanjay Mishra [mailto:smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx]

    If I have 4 database with 4-way Oracle Streams setup means all changes on
one server are pushed to all other 3 servers and vice versa. If I loose one
Database due to Disk problem and have no backup. If I will create the new
Database on the Server where I had the disk issue, then how I can
re-instantiate all DB server so that they all can talk to the newly created
database.

    Tx

    Sanjay