Re: Oracle Software install for DR

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:25:04 -0500

One quick counterpoint to this...

All your data is on the SAN.  Putting the binaries on the same SAN
shouldn't really be a big deal, because it's not like you'll be using
those binaries much if the data isn't accessible... and I've seen *lots*
of deployments where the SAN is used to give each server a chunk of
storage for binaries.

Using a cluster filesystem and shared oracle home is also possible, but
really a completely separate question from whether or not to use SAN.
If you're interested in this, just make sure you're comfortable with the
CFS and the shared-binary model.  (Personally I don't think it's any
more of a SPOF than having the shared data on the SAN.  It can make for
a rather elegant architecture if done right.)

But CFS is a lot less common - most people use dedicated oracle-homes.
And in my experience, most people use SAN for the binaries.

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com
+1 312-725-9249