Re: Oracle RAC ON Linux vs AIX

  • From: "Ghassan Salem" <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuadar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:30:23 +0100

Fuad,
with RAC 10gR2, there's no HACMP. And if you use ASM, no OCFS nor GPFS
either,
so it gets down to the hardware cost, and above all, maintenance costs of
the servers, plus administrators availability (i.e. your guys know better
Linux than AIX, or the other way around, in many cases services around the
servers cost, over some years more than the servers themselves)

rgds

On 2/13/07, Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm doing a feasibility study on   Oracle RAC and wanted some comments
from the folks using RAC.
Can someone give me the pros and cons of using RAC(10.2) on Linux vs AIX.
i know some of them include the free clustware with linux from oracle vs
HACMP(paid) option on AIX. OCFS from Oracle  vs  GPFS on AIX.
Looking for more info like how is patching and support of Oracle  on AIX
vs Linux(preferable RH AS).
Any comments or experiences appreciated.

Fuad