Re: Oracle NoSQL Documentation

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:30:37 -0700 (PDT)

You make a good point in that you can't know about everything.... Typically we
in technology we tend to be focused on specific areas of expertise. I believe
that my argument applies within those chosen areas of expertise. If we wish to
remain marketable then we have to keep up with the times. I don't think an
Oracle DBA needs to know about Java to maintain an expertise within the
database area of expertise. You just need to keep up with that technology
(which in itself can be a big deal). An Oracle 7 DBA who still does things the
Oracle 7 way isn't nearly as marketable as those with Oracle 11g RAC skills as
skills are generally backwards compatible... :)

Of course keeping up with Java, C#, and any other technologies make you more
marketable.

The question I guess is what are your career and salary goals.... ? Given the
answer to that question, one should decide how to proceed.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past
and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production
problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in
this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and
reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.