Re: Oracle NoSQL Documentation

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

Sven...
>>I am not in my 20ies anymore!
Neither am I.... I'm 46.... and yet here I am at a customer about to talk to
them about NoSQL, HDFS and Hadoop....

Respectfully, if you want to stay relevant in this field, you need to disengage
from this kind of thinking. It is a fact that technology is changing, that new
needs need new solutions and that no mater how we hate it, change happens. You
need to be prepared to deal with change, or become irrelevant and less
marketable. Frankly, if I were a hiring manager and you displayed that kind of
attitude in an interview, I'd probably disqualify you on the spot.

Understand how NoSQL fits into the enterprise environment (or does not
depending on how you look at it) and what it's used for. It's not going to
supplant the normal RDBMS, ever, but rather it typically serves as a landing
spot for "Big Data" ... typically key paired data, that eventually finds it's
way into a traditional RDBMS (Oracle of course!). I personally think that the
typical "Big Data" infrastructure (Hadoop, DBFS, NoSQL, etc) is probably over
used these days for a variety of reasons. I believe that in many cases the
traditional database infrastructure could be used rather than a brand new "Big
Data" infrastructure. However there are many business cases where this
infrastructure is clearly needed and as unstructured, high volume and high
velocity data becomes more and more prevalent in the data center, we will
forced to deal with it.

Moore's law applies in many ways in the technology field.... and I often find
myself tiring with the pace of change, but that is the way things are. You have
to keep up, find yourself become less and less marketable, change careers or
retire. It's all up to you.

Relevant to NoSQL, the database skills you have learned will not be going away
and will always be in demand.

Cheers

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past
and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production
problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in
this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and
reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.