Re: Oracle - MS Access - Does your company have a policy about local vs. centralized data storage? (Perhaps a bit off topic?)

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 22:38:55 +0100

we have a strict policy that access databases are not allowed. It is worked
around, both inside and outside the IT department whose boss came up with
it.

My take is that if we offered an alternative and a migration service this
would help, we don't :(

Niall

On 7/4/07, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to do a bit of research in my effort to put together a project
move from localized to centralized data storage for Access applications
and
other ODBC type things. I'm just wondering if any of you have any related
policies at your companies? Do you allow localized Access data stores or
do
you centralize those data stores? I'm looking at allowing access
applications, but providing a means to easily request/create a data store
for those applications in Oracle.

Thoughts?

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
Principal Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Father of Five, Husband of One,
Author of various geeky computer titles
from Osborne/McGraw Hill (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Now Available for Pre-sales on Amazon.com
!
Sig V1.1

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA