Re: Oracle License Audit

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jason.arneil@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:54:36 +0000

Howard

Jason is exactly right about the process. It's worth taking a good deal of
time and effort to get the spreadsheet exactly right (which isn't
necessarily straightforward) as:

1)  Oracle will make an initial judgement as to how much you are likely to
owe them :( even before they come out and audit you (I suspect they partly
make that judgement to determine whether its worth doing the audit).
2) You make a legalese (suspect it may not actually be legal but wouldn't
gamble) declaration to the effect that this is an authorized official
communication from your company.

<blatant commercial>
My employer - and of course other Oracle Partners as well - can help with
the license management/filling out the spreadsheet etc etc, as well as
potentially discounts on any licenses Oracle decide you need. If you do want
to get a partner involved, now before the spreadsheet goes back is the best
time.
<blatant commercial>

As Norman says the implications of getting licensing wrong can be
significant - I'd certainly start by checking the
DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS or similarly named view. Internal use of the
feature *can* be ignored though sometimes you have to convince the
sales/audit guy that you aren't using the feature Oracle is :( .

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA