RE: Oracle Installation in Hebrew

  • From: "Jacques Kilchoer" <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <onkarnath.tiwary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:52:07 -0700

Several questions.
a) What is the operating system of the client machine? Windows 2000 I
assume, from your e-mail.
b) What program is being used on the client machine to store and receive
data?
c) Is the program in b) a UNICODE program?
d) The WE8ISO8859-1 character set does not allow hebrew characters, only
western european characters. What is the datatype of the columns in
which you are trying to store the hebrew characters? e.g. are they
VARCHAR2 or NVARCHAR2?

A little background:
suppose I want to store hebrew characters in varchar2 columns in my
Oracle database from a non-Unicode program (like SQL*Plus) running on
Windows. Here are the steps:

1) Create a database with a character set that supports hebrew
characters, e.g. IW8ISO8859P8 or IW8MSWIN1255 or UTF8.

2) Set the code page of my Windows machine to be a Hebrew code page. Go
into the Regional Options Control Panel, and choose Hebrew (the exact
spot where you choose Hebrew in the Regional Options control panel will
be different depending on Windows version, 2000 vs. XP etc.)
Step 2) can be skipped if your client program is a Unicode program.

3) Set my NLS_LANG, FOR THE ORACLE_HOME THAT MY CLIENT PROGRAM WILL BE
USING, so that the encoding value (character set value, the portion
after the period in NLS_LANG) corresponds to your WINDOWS CODE PAGE.
This is very important. Any client program will have to have a correct
setting for NLS_LANG.

  _____

De : oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Onkar N Tiwary

hi lex,

thanx for the quick response. NLS_LANG is AMERICAN_AMERICA. Character
set is WE8ISO8859P1 and NATIONAL_CHARACTER_SET is UTF8

On 10/28/05, Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        check out the globalization support documentation -- there are
many things that can go wrong :-)
        check out
http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_toc?pathname=server.920%2Fa96529%
2Ftoc.htm&remark=docindex

        are you using Unicode? what's the setting of the NLS_LANG
variable? ...

  _____