RE: Oracle Financials Question

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tim@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:08:43 -0400

I endorse what Tim has said, and if you read old "classic" advice to the
contrary about placement of the ConcMgr, remember to rationalize that advice
with the relative penetration of 10Mbit, 100Mbit, and Gbit LANs and the
corresponding improvements in switches, routers and LAN segmentation
technology. Network loads 10 years ago that swamped LANs and were throughput
bottlenecks at 10Mbit almost can't be seen on a graphical display of load on
a Gbit LAN. 10 years ago it was a pretty solid presumption in one direction
and now it is an excellent presumption in the other direction.

In general you still want to place your apps server(s) "near" the database
server.

Regards,

mwf